Finding a bra you love should be empowering. That’s why we’re here with the deets on how to do it!
Q: How does bra sizing work?
A: Finding your best fit is a little different for bras than it is for tees and tanks—that’s why there are two more specific measurements used to figure out your bra size:
- Your band size (e.g., 36 or 38) is measured around your ribcage.
- Your cup size (e.g., B or DD) is measured around the fullest part of your chest.
Q: How do you measure for your bra size?
A: It’s easy! Meet your newest BFF: the Best Fit Finder. The BFF is our Aerie-exclusive way to measure your bra size. Check out this video of Iskra showing you how to use it. The BFF will be back in stock at Aerie.com soon, or you can visit us in stores to try it out.
Q: How should your bra fit you?
A: All that matters? That it makes you feel good! Here are some tips:
- Your bra band should feel secure and even on the middle hook.
- The cups in your bra should hug your shape and feel supportive, without any gaps at the neckline.
- Straps should feel snug, comfortable and centered on your shoulders, and should never feel like they’re digging in.
Q: How often should you wash a bra?
A: A good routine is every 1-2 weeks. And of course:
- This depends on how many bras you have in your rotation (the more you wear it, the more you wash it).
- The less you wash your bras, the longer they will maintain their shape.
- To wash your bras: wash them by hand with mild detergent and cool water, and always air dry.
Q: Should you wear a bra to bed?
A: Only if you want to!
- If you do, have no fear—sleeping in a bra doesn’t alter your breast shape in any way.
- If you’re more comfortable sleeping in a bra, just make sure that it isn’t too tight.
- Try one of our bralettes, they’re amazing for ZZZing.
Q: How many bras should you own?
A: The more you own, the longer they’ll last!
- Consider having enough bras to make it to laundry day—that way your faves last longer and hold their shape and support.
Q: How often should you replace a bra?
A: It depends!
- We think replacing a bra after about a year is good, but that depends on how it feels and what kind of shape it’s in.
- Wear one of your faves ALL the time? Get 1 or 2 backups! Having enough bras to cover your work or school week will help them last longer.
Q: How will you know when to replace a bra?
A: If your bra has stopped making you feel supported and comfortable—ditch it!
- Replace your bra if the band feels too loose (even on the tightest hook).
- If the straps are too stretched out or you see any loose threads or underwire poking through, it’s time to say goodbye.
Still have a more Q’s? Leave a comment below! Is it time for a new bra? Shop our collection of Aerie bras and find one that makes you feel real good!